Monday, October 27, 2014

Following Career Instincts

I have to admit - October has put me on a slight hiatus. This five-week month has been both a reality check and an inner debate of my career path. The questions of my future and planning for the future. Where would I see myself in a year? In five years?

Approaching my one year anniversary at work, I started asking myself these difficult questions. I knew I was ready for the next challenge, but where would it be? For one, I wanted to stay at my current company, where there is so much opportunity to grow and thrive. But I was ready to explore other options and I began meeting with people outside of my department. This was my chance to learn more about the different areas and see if they sparked any interests. A great way to connect and research. To my surprise (as I had not been actively searching jobs), there was a position available that my instincts ensured would be a great fit. I had that "Aha!" moment when you just know and it feels right. A role that blended my past with my present experience in retail and I felt passion stirring up inside my bones again. I knew I would regret it if I didn't at least give it a shot.

After talking it over with my current manager, working on scheduling with HR, and then one long week (that felt like a year) of the interview process, I received an offer the following Tuesday. I cannot truly describe the feeling of excitement that overcame me. Hard work, determination, and the drive to be successful really can pay off. I saw what I wanted and went after it, knowing there was always a chance it wouldn't work out. But at least I tried, and even rejection wouldn't stop me from continuing to push myself in the future. We can never give up on our dreams, no matter how many doors get closed. Or how many "no's" we may hear. We can't give up on ourselves and what we want in life. Only we can control our futures. I took mine by the horns and there's no turning back.

And so, I start my new position in mid-November after a well deserved vacation that Jay and I will be taking back to Aruba. We are heading to where our first week of marriage began (on our honeymoon). We will be able to revisit the places we shared together as we started and celebrated our newlywed life. And what a way to kick off a new job! I'm telling you, the timing of it all could not be more perfect. It truly is a sign that everything happens for a reason. As long as we take control of our future and go after what we believe in, everything then seems to fall into place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...