Thursday, September 25, 2014

L'shanah tovah

Today we will be celebrating the Jewish New Year. One of my favorite components about being in an interfaith marriage is that you get the best of both worlds. Jay and I are very firm in believing that we can mesh our traditions together. Neither one of us is religious, but when it comes to family and culture we would rather blend than choose one over the other.

Although this is the 5th year I will be celebrating Rosh Hashanah, it is still a relatively new concept. I was always so used to the New Year being an evening out on the town on December 31st, anxiously waiting for the ball-drop and kissing the one I love. But now I realize that this occasion means more than just dipping an apple in honey. It is not about resolutions for the next year, rather it is looking back on the previous and reflecting on challenges you may have faced. And how to overcome them in the future.

I feel the need to take advantage of this moment and look inward at my own journey this past year.  A lot has certainly changed - not only did we get married but we moved back to New Jersey. I mourned the loss and are still always thinking about my Grandpa and my first dog Roxy. There are many nights where they appear in my dreams and I am convinced it is a sign that they are watching over me. I became an aunt to the most amazing nephew, Judd. It amazes me every time I see him, he changes. I started a new job at the end of December and would not trade it for the world.  Everything has had a reason for making some sort of sense in my life, whether it is good or bad. We can't control all the events that take place, but we can learn from them and carry them with us. And mold into the shape that we will become.

There aren't key things that call out to me as mistakes I have made. Sure, I could always acquire a little more patience. I could say that I will try not to let my emotions get the best of me. But in regards to mistakes - I don't necessarily agree with the word itself. Mistakes are really life-lessons. Whether we like to admit it, they help us grow into stronger individuals. They help us realize what we need from life. I try to live with no regrets. I would not be who I am today without being tested by life itself.

Rosh Hashanah has given me the chance to really explore these feelings and take a look back at the previous year. So l'chaim, here's to life. And to change. And lessons learned. And all of the in between.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...