Monday, August 18, 2014

Facing Our Faces

At what point in our lives do we face reality? I mean literally face it - that we are aging everyday. And although we may be one more day the wiser, what about our skin? Are we doing what we can to prolong the inevitable? That as we get older, so does our skin. And particularly the look and the feel. When is it okay to decide to take preventative measures and slow down the natural course of aging?

I have never been one of those people to use anything more than SPF 30. Hell, I'm lucky if I use 15. Like most of us, we enjoy building that summer glow as we bask in the sun and pray for a cloudless day. Even after my last annual trip to the dermatologist; I didn't need a little old (but adorably sincere) man stress the importance of wearing a tee shirt as I sit next to the pool. "You have an over abundance of beauty marks on your shoulders, arms, and chest. Make sure to use that SPF 50!" Okay doc, thank you so much (in my head I'm laughing and thinking yeah, right)! Aren't they called beauty marks for a reason?! Now I'm really starting to believe they are equivalent to the rings inside a tree trunk. Every ring equals another year of life. Maybe the more beauty marks we have, the more "wise" we are? However we try to spin it, we need to keep in mind that we're not suffering the consequences now, but we may in the future.

Getting back to my initial proposition: what is the right age to anti-age? The answer is really up to the individual. I'm not going to sit here and say that I regret slabbing baby oil on my body as my only means of protection as a teen. I may have waited until 27 to start taking new measures, particularly for my face, but here are some of the best products I've used (some of which I currently include in my daily regimen). It's true, the price of healthy skin can start to accumulate, but it may just save us the trouble later on. So I will do what I can with what money I have and hope that the future me will say thank you.


Facing Our Faces

1. Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer - Around $7.00 a bottle, this lotion was my go-to for majority of my life. Oil-free is one of the key components I look for, not to mention it's acne fighting ingredients. However, as I've gotten older, I've realized I may not need to focus on acne and more about the preservation of my skin.

2. Hawaiian Tropic Face - This is a newbie that goes for $9.99 and has really made a splash this summer. I literally had to order from Amazon because I failed to find it in stock at several pharmacies. It's light-weight feel is perfect for summer and also protects your skin with SPF 30. And the smell is delicious! Whenever I know I'm going out into the sun for long periods of time, I use this as my moisturizer. 

3. Estee Lauder Collection - A line that has literally stood the test of time. I was introduced to Estee Lauder by one of their most loyal customers (and one of the most beautiful), my mom. Found in almost every department store, these lotions can run more expensive than the drugstore brands, but most people swear by the long term effects. 

4. Loreal Revitalift Double Lifting - I discovered this in CVS in the fall of last year, interested in the packaging and wondering if it works. For about $18, this lotion claims to firm and tighten the appearance of your skin using both a moisturizer and gel. I definitely can agree that it aids, however you seem to run out of the gel much faster than the moisturizer. I ended up only using this around my eyes after I apply my regular moisturizer in the morning. 

5. Algenist Firming & Lifting - This is definitely one of the most pricey products I've used, almost $100 a jar, but it lasts a long time and you don't need to use much. Since adding this to my morning and night routines, I've noticed my face looks firmer and less sunken in (as I've continued to drop lbs on Weight Watchers). I have oily skin and I really don't see this effecting breakouts. Also, most firming creams separate a morning cream and night cream which can tend to increase your cost so using this for both is beneficial. 

I'm curious to see what other suggestions you may have out there. In the end, I believe women should choose to prevent aging when they deem it necessary. There is no set age because we are all exposed to different amounts of sun, pollution, etc. I just happened to start over the past year and I'm already seeing the positives. Let's face it, it is OK to age, as long as we stay smart about it and true to ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...