Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Ultimate Throwback Thursday

Thursdays are one of the best days of the week - we're so close to the weekend we can almost touch it. It's practically calling our names, "hurry up and get poolside already!" And since the Big Bang of Instagram, Throwback Thursdays have grown into our favorite past-time. Where scrolling most feeds will take us back down memory lane. Baby pictures, childhood memories, college dazes, and even snaps from a week ago can qualify. Throughout my posts this week, I have been attempting to drop hints that take me back to August 7, 2012. Hands down one of my most endearing Throwback Thursdays of all - the day I said "Shut the f*ck up" and got engaged.

Now I know it's startling that the words "engagement" and "f*ck" fall into the same sentence. Once you get to know me you'll see that I am extremely impatient and particularly cranky when I'm hungry. And it's our story and it's perfect in my eyes, swear words and all. The story begins on that August day..

Jay and I were taking our annual Delinko family vacation to Martha's Vineyard. Planning this year had been more challenging than most because we had to fly from Buffalo, to JFK, and finally to the vineyard. After a stressful morning of over-packing and making our way to the airport, we were en route to the beloved island. To my demise, we were delayed for four hours in JFK. We thought, "well, this is appropriate," considering we grew up so close to NYC. Yet, there wasn't enough time to go home to New Jersey - we had to accept we were stranded. Little did I know Jay had the ring burning a hole in his pocket.

After four grueling hours and playing a long, mean game of 500 Rummy, it was time to board the plane to our final destination. At this point, I was exhausted from the day's worth of travel and could not wait to get to the house, eat a nice home-cooked meal, and do absolutely nothing. At our arrival, Jay's parents were waiting at the gate. Thinking back, I remember feeling a strange sense of excitement, but was too focused on the growls coming from my stomach that I didn't truly notice in the moment. I can think back to standing in the kitchen of the house whining to Jay that all I wanted to do was relax and eat. He insisted we go into town (Edgartown) to do all of our gift-shopping for our families. He claimed he wanted to get it out of the way - as if we didn't have a whole week to do that! Everyone finally convinced me to go, but please note that I was not a happy camper. I couldn't comprehend why Jay needed to go as soon as we settled in, but I went with the flow and put up a stink.

I still can't believe I didn't even notice that we drove through the town and passed where we normally would park. The car slowly crept up a hill and we pulled over on a street overlooking the lighthouse. Jay was carrying this sketchy bookbag which irritated me even more. "Why are you carrying a bag like you're some sort of drug dealer?" Nothing made sense and now I was really starving. We walked up the hill and sat down at a bench. Still nothing clicked in my head. Jay started to seem a little nervous and out of his element, yet I was too busy cursing to really grasp what was happening. He pulled out a photo book and started to ramble that he made this for me, which encapsulated the last 2 1/2 years. He said how much he loved me and knew I was the one. We turned each page to see our life unfolding from year to year. The last page was of Rocky and our apartment in Buffalo where we had made a home. Then as he turned to the back, I noticed one extra page that merged into the cover. It was a picture of the lighthouse in front of us, with the words, "Melissa Solimine, will you marry me?" Even at this point I still could not understand what was happening. It remains a total blur - I was in such a state of shock that I had never experienced before. Jay was on his knee holding a beautiful, princess-cut ring towards me. My initial reaction (blame the shock), was "Shut the f*ck up! Shut the f*ck up!" My mind was racing. "Does my Dad know about this? Does my family know?" Poor Jay was still on his knee and laughing "yes, yes they all know." Turns out he asked my dad permission back on Father's Day and everyone kept it from me. I really had no idea it was coming. Still in awe, I put the ring on, gave him a hug and kiss, and turned around. Standing across the street with a video camera was my soon-to-be brother and sister-in law. It wasn't until they walked over and asked us how it went that the word "Yes" came out of my mouth.


I called my family and my best friend, and the whirlwind completely swept me off my feet. You never know how you truly will react until you're in that situation. When I tell this tale to friends, they often say "that sounds like a Melissa thing to say," because it really is. I don't have a filter and the shock took hold of my voice. I always knew Jay was the one and thank God he didn't run away after hearing me curse like a sailor. August 7th will forever hold a place in my heart. The day that began the rest of my life. And so I dedicate this Throwback Thursday to Jay because even though it's been two years, the memory will always be vivid in my mind and heart. Not to mention it's all on tape for our viewing pleasure (however, luckily it's far enough away that you can't hear my initial response).

Here's the actual book that Jay used in his proposal :)

And we lived happily ever after..




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...